Applying for a provisional driving license is the very first step for those who wish to drive in Kenya. Once you obtain a provisional driving license, you are allowed to undergo training in driving for any class or classes of motor vehicles that are endorsed on the license.
Such a license allows the applicant to train in the driving of the respected classes of vehicles and is valid for 3 months from the issue date, similarly to the validity of a learner’s driver’s licence in Uganda. In situations where there is a need to have the provisional driving license renewed after expire, the applicant must pay the associated fees in order to be issued another valid for another 3 months, after which one will book a driving test.
The provisional driving license is applied through the National transport and safety authority of Kenya, and the entire application process is done online through the NTSA eCitizen website. If you’ve been wondering how to about applying for and obtaining a provisional driving license in Kenya, this article will guide you right from steps A-Z.
Steps to Apply for Provisional Driving License
- Visit Ntsa.ecitizen.go.ke website
- Click “Signup” to create your account
- Select your “category” and click create an account
- Enter “all required information” and click continue.
- Log into your “account”
- Click on “Get services now” under National Transport and Safety Authority
- Click on “Driving Licenses”
- Click on ” Learn more” next to Application for Provisional Driving Licensee
- Click on “Apply now” and fill in all required information.
- Review filled information and click “proceed’
- Choose “Payment method” and complete the payment.
Obtaining your Provisional Driving License
Upon successfully completing your payment of Kshs. 650/=, you will be redirected to the final page which you will be in a position of Obtaining your Provisional Driving license by printing it out.
You can pay the PDL fees using M-Pesa, Debit/Credit card, Mobikash, or through an eCitizen agent. A PDL holder is not allowed to drive on the road unless accompanied by a qualified driver with a valid driving license containing the same classes as indicated in the PDL.