A driver certificate of competence is mandatory when applying for a new driver licence, adding a class extension, and reviving a lapsed driving licence in Uganda. The driving certificate of competence is issued by the Police IOV upon presenting all required documents and undergoing both the theory and practical driving tests.
Depending on the driver license type one is applying for, certain requirements apply, and which must be fulfilled and presented at the Police IOV in order for the applicant to be tested and issued with the driver certificate of competence. These mandatory requirements are shared below.
Requirements for obtaining a Driver Certificate of Competence
- Proof of payment of Driving Test fees URA PRN (UGX 25,000/=)
- Original learner driving permit for new applicants
- Photocopy of original full driver licence for adding class
- Photocopy of original full driver licence for a lapsed permit if available
- Newspaper advert and photocopy of national ID for a lapsed permit but lost driver licence
- Certificate of Completion obtained from a licenced driving school in Uganda
Once you have secured the required documents above, the next step is to proceed to the test center in Naguru, or any other branches countrywide and book. Once you book, you will be allocated time and day when you should present yourself for the tests by police IOV.
Fees for driving test
Procedures of obtaining a Driver Certificate of Competence from Police IOV
- Present yourself at the allocated time and date
- Wait for your name to be called, assuming it is on the list.
- Do the tests as requested, usually starting with a practical driving test
- Wait for the theory turn which will including the traffic road signs
- Wait as told until you are called.
If all goes well, the police IOV will stamp your document (learner, lapsed, or extension) and a competence certificate will be issued, written on the competence number written on your document. Your competence certificate will be attached to your other documents like the medical application form and submitted to UDLS by the police IOV where you will find it